Monday, January 9, 2012

LC Exercise #7 Part 2: Brett's "Most Amazing Music" Playlist

I asked my friend Brett, who is a huge music nerd similar to myself, to create the playlist of his “most amazing music”. The list was short and simple, but I actually really enjoyed listening to it, and it also gave me the chance to get to know him a little better through his favorite music. A few of the songs I knew already and are some of my favorites as well, but I also fell in love with a few other new songs that I had never heard before. This list was as follows:

1) Acrobat by As Tall As Lions [NEW FAVORITE]
2) No One's Gonna Love You by Band of Horses [ALREADY LOVED]
3) Play Crack the Sky by Brand New [GOOD]
4) First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes [NEW FAVORITE]
5) The Glorious Nosebleed by Circa Survive [EHH NOT SO MUCH]
6) Delirium Trigger by Coheed and Cambria [EHH NOT SO MUCH]
7) Day Old Hate by City and Colour (Dallas Green) [EHH NOT SO MUCH]
8) Title and Registration by Death Cab for Cutie [ALREADY LOVED]
9) Your Hand in Mine by Explosions in the Sky [ALREADY LOVED]
10) Boy With a Coin by Iron and Wine [NEW FAVORITE]
11) Gravity by John Mayer [ALREADY LOVED]
12) Sleeper 1972 by Manchester Orchestra [NEW FAVORITE]
13) Paranoid Android by Radiohead [NEW FAVORITE]
14) Samson by Regina Spektor [ALREADY LOVED]
15) Another Leather Lung by The Sound of Animals Fighting [GREAT UNTIL THE SCREAMING]

I feel like when people are moved by the same song they have some sort of understanding; they feel basically the same things for the same things. Through even one song, people can have a connection. That is why music is important; that is the basic purpose of music: to be able to express and understand something you can't otherwise. When listening to these I felt as if I knew what Brett was feeling when he listened to them, and thus better understood him. Some pretty terrible things have happened to him, and his favorite music actually reflects that- which is kind of hard to hear. Most of these were very deep, emotional songs, many of them meant to be really sad. All of them though were very moving, which is why I also was drawn to them, even if I personally can’t relate. We may not have the exact same taste, but we are fairly close, and I actually believe that's why we are able to be such good friends- emotionally we are very similar.

1 comment: