Sunday, September 11, 2011

LC Exercise #1 Part 2: Random Acts of Kindness Log and Reflection

September 5th (no school)
1. Two people let me pass first at an intersection
2. While searching for a venue for my best friend’s surprise party, even though people were having a family party in the room at the time, they let us come in and look around anyways
3. My sister and her friend made their other friend a cake for her birthday and delivered it to her house since she couldn’t hang out
4. Someone forgot their money for soccer socks and it was the deadline to get them or you couldn’t play, so someone who they weren’t that good of friends with lent them the money
5. One of the sophomores had to ride their bike home after soccer practice, and three seniors’ cars all slowed down to ask her if she needed a ride

September 6th
1. Many people held the door open for each other if they happened to be walking in at the same time
2. Mrs. Gasman greeted all the girls dropping off their sports bags in the locker room
3. Someone’s brown bagged lunch ripped, spilling all over the hallway and numerous kids walking by helped pick the stuff up
4. Someone asked the person next to them to borrow a pen, and they said they could just keep it
5. When my team was picking our soccer uniform numbers, two people wanted the same number, but then they both fought over how the other person should have it, and eventually they both decided neither of them would have it

September 7th
1. First period someone voluntarily took down all the chairs that were still on the desks when class started
2. Someone’s pencil case fell off their desk and everything spilled out and the surrounding kids helped pick it up
3. Someone at lunch in the courtyard purposely left a penny on the ground on the heads side so that someone else could find it and have good luck
4. Ms. Trahan picks up all the trash outside that kids leave everywhere everyday
5. Someone held open the door for me when they saw I was carrying a lot
6. My dad let some strangers in the parking lot with a flat tire use his jack because they didn’t have one

September 8th
1. Once again, saw someone hold open the door for someone else on their way into school
2. My Chinese class is huge and there aren’t enough chairs for everyone, so multiple people offered to share their seats or sit on the radiator in the back so other people could sit down
3. During Eagle Block a few people drew pictures and funny notes to the other classes on the white boards
4. At lunch someone got someone else who was on crutches a fork so they wouldn’t have to get up and get it themselves
5. Someone else carried the person on crutches’ stuff to their next class
6. At a concert I went to the person at the door was about to scan someone’s ticket when they said to scan another person’s ticket first because they were really next, even though everyone was pushing and shoving to get in first
7. The bass player in one of the bands was someone you could tell was really shy and at one point someone in the crowd screamed “I LOVE YOU!” and the biggest, most genuine smile spread across his face

September 9th
1. Altruism Club members held open the doors and greeted everyone as they walked into school
2. Someone’s pen rolled under someone else’s desk, and instead of just kicking it closer to them like he suggested, the other person actually picked it up for him
3. A freshmen forgot their cleats and a junior who had an extra pair let them borrow them for the game
4. During our soccer game the team we were playing was really aggressive, but this one girl on their team kept apologizing for them for when they knocked us over or hurt one of us
5. During my driving lesson, a motorcyclist behind me kept honking at me and I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong, but then I realized the instructor had left his binder on top of the trunk outside the car and he was just trying to tell me

Most of these random acts of kindness were small, probably forgotten a few days later by the receiver, but for a tiny moment they brought a grin to someone’s face or a little light to brighten up their day. Although some went unnoticed, most people were appreciative of these small acts, saying thank you or flashing them a smile. A lot of times people were surprised at people’s kindness; they didn’t expect it, which made it all the more special, but it also showed that people don’t think others care. When I told my sister about this project she asked, “How are you suppose to do that? No one does anything nice for each other anymore”. I don’t agree with that, but I understand what she’s saying, my generation seems to be more selfish and rude than ever- but not everyone’s that way. For example, I just assumed the motorcyclist behind me was trying to be obnoxious since I was driving in a “Student Driver” car, but really he was just trying to help me. It’s sad that we don’t think people are going to do anything nice for us.
Observing these random acts of kindness made me feel better about people. Our species can be pretty awful to each other, but this showed me that most people actually do have some kindness in them. Most of the time we wouldn’t even realize these events are happening, but when you look for them they’re there. And even though all these gestures were small, they add up. These random acts of kindness shouldn’t be so random though, we should make a greater effort to do them all the time. The more you help others, the more others will want to help you.
The random act of kindness that made the biggest impression on me was when someone in the crowd shouted “I LOVE YOU!” to the shy bass player at the concert I went to. He immediately smiled so wide and began to visibly feel more comfortable. Anyone could tell he appreciated it, you could read it on his face. It was a huge confidence boost for him, and his smile said it all. It was just a good moment. I didn’t really realize that an act of kindness could also be verbal- and showing your appreciation for someone or letting them know they mean something to someone- or simply making someone feel accepted, goes a long way. It was one of those instances when just witnessing it you also smile.
I’m not sure I completely believe it, but I would like to think “love actually is all around us”. I tend to have a fairly negative outlook on the world, but it’s things like these that remind me it’s not all bad. People care. Almost everyone has good intentions, and almost everyone wants to help out. The thing about a random act of kindness is that they make the donor feel just as good as the recipient- so in a way you’re always indirectly helping yourself. To tie this back in to our happiness research, I think one of the most sure ways to bring yourself happiness is to bring happiness to others- it’ll work every time. If more people realize this, the “actually” part of that statement won’t be necessary; it won’t be so surprising.
This exercise made me look more closely at people’s interactions. Sometimes I struggled deciding whether an act of kindness was really “random” or if they were close friends- but either way it made me pay more attention, seeing that people actually are a lot more considerate and compassionate than I thought. It also showed me that the small things I do will actually be recognized and I guess the whole point of the assignment was that we should all try to do random acts of kindness more often because even if it really doesn’t make that much of a difference, for a split second it makes someone else happy.

1 comment:

  1. Grade: A+) It is true that happiness is tied to be other-centered as opposed to self-centered. However, it is difficult to balance selfish needs with being unselfish. I wonder if you carried out this exercise for a whole month, what the effect would be? Thanks for your highly sincere and reflective response.

    ReplyDelete