Saturday, September 10, 2011

LC Blog #1: Happiness Machine

I don’t believe that true happiness is possible without some unhappiness. I barely had to think to know I would not plug in; the idea of the machine really freaked me out, it seemed more like a scary science experiment rather than the solution to humanity’s dissatisfaction. And how could you be satisfied with your new “life” if you never had to work for anything, never had to struggle? To me, the machine seems quite impossible, not because scientifically it’s not achievable, but because I believe it is impossible to be happy all the time. It wouldn’t really be happiness. Nothing would have meaning because if you knew you would get everything you wanted, it wouldn’t be special anymore. You would feel bored, and thus discontent. A utopia just doesn’t exist.
Of course, who am I to say that no one should use this machine? I’ve never experienced loss or heartbreak, nothing bad has really ever happened to me. I’ve been given perfect living conditions, my life is full of opportunities, and I’ve never had to go through anything serious. Not only do I live in America, I live in Sharon, the apparent 11th best city in the country- everything has been handed to me. I’m sure if I had a terrible life, this machine would seem extremely tempting.
Think about if every human was given the choice to plug in. I believe most would. Not only would your life loose all purpose from wasting your time floating in a tank like you’re brain dead, but life for the few who remained would become stagnant; all progress would come to a halt as more and more people plug in. Eventually humans would actually become extinct because, since you are plugged in to this fake world for life, people would never have children in reality. This machine would not only be life changing, it would change all life on earth.
Besides the fact that this machine would end humankind, it’s also just a shortcut that is not worth taking. Life, although unfair, bumpy, and confusing, is worth actually living. You could compare this machine to suicide; it’s a way to end the pain, but it ends everything. How would we learn if we never made mistakes, never fell in and out of love, never had to start over? We would no longer appreciate anything, and that’s what happiness is: appreciating the moment. If we were given everything, nothing would matter anymore. Life is about making choices and sometimes the choices being made for you; you’re not supposed to get everything you want. Our hardships are also a part of what defines us as a person, without them no one would be very interesting.
And what good is happiness if it is all fake? To me, this fantasy world doesn’t seem very appealing. A friend is someone who is there for you even in bad times, so if there are no bad times, are there no real friends? And if no one will hurt you, you’ll never have fights with anyone, and you’ll always be content no matter what, is there no such thing as “the one”? Could you fall in love with anyone? Would love even exist? To love someone is to care enough to make sacrifices for that person, and sacrifices mean temporary unhappiness. And if everyone around you is also happy, you could never help anyone, so would your life ever have meaning? These doubts I have make this “dream” seem more like a nightmare.
While pondering this prompt, I actually googled “Define: Happiness”. It came up with things like, “state of well-being characterized by emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy”, “‘Happiness… Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch’ is the title of Canadian alternative rock band Our Lady Peace’s third studio album”, and “(1) a good stomach and an evil heart. (2) tranquility and occupation. (3) ignorance. (4) to be very busy with the unimportant”. Nothing very helpful. I decided on my own definition.
Happiness (n.): The feeling of true satisfaction that comes from the company of others, excitement or fun, accomplishments, personal interests, or finding and fulfilling your purpose in life. Happiness is only attained if shown only occasionally and in contrast to unhappiness. Memories of when you were happy can also recreate happiness. Happiness is contagious because it also comes from making others happy.
So although everyone’s goal in life is to achieve happiness, I don’t believe plugging into this machine is the way to get there. I am a skeptic of the machine, and I prefer reality. I also believe that sadness is an ingredient of happiness, which you can’t get from the machine. Life is rough, but it’s worth it in the end. As Robert Frost once wrote, “Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length”.

1 comment:

  1. Grade: A+) I love the quotes you have been using in your responses! You make a very compelling case against entering the machine. Why must happiness be linked with pain, suffering, or loss? What might that suggest about happiness?

    ReplyDelete